Layla AlAmmar – author of Silence is a Sense, a novel about the fundamental need for human connection, written from the viewpoint of a Syrian refugee
Layla AlAmmar is the author of Silence is a Sense, a profound and life-affirming novel that follows a mute Syrian refugee grappling with her experiences during the Syrian Civil War, and as a refugee traveling through Europe as she is gradually and unwillingly drawn into the lives of her neighbors.
“With gut-punching clarity, AlAmmar unpacks the complicated identity of a refugee discovering that safety is not what it seems, as she learns to find her voice in a new home.” – Booklist
Layla AlAmmar is a Kuwaiti-American writer and student of Arab literature, delivering a complex and fluid book about memory, revolution, loss, and safety. AlAmmar’s debut novel, The Pact We Made, was published in 2019. She is currently pursuing a PhD on the intersection of Arab women’s fiction and literary trauma theory.
In this episode, we discuss her writing process, and:
- Changing your medium to get un-stuck
- Writing as a repository for thoughts and feelings
- The difficulty in trying to take writing advice
- And more
I would love to hear from you. Please visit my Contact Page and tell me about your writing challenges.
Follow this Writer
Follow the Podcast
- Visit the podcast’s Website
Follow the Host
- Slide into Sara Gallagher’s DM’s on Instagram
Follow our Partners
- Learn more about our partner, We Need Diverse Books, whose mission is to put more diverse books into the hands of all children
Become an Advertiser
This Week’s Writing Prompt
This week’s writing prompt: Take a pivotal scene in your WIP, or a scene that is giving you trouble, and try to rewrite it in several different ways. For example: straight, a dream or nightmare, someone relaying the scene to another person in a letter, or as a hallucination.
Explore Womxn Authors
In this episode, they recommended these womxn writers:
Ensure the Podcast Continues
Love what you’re hearing? Show your appreciation and become a Supporter with a monthly contribution.
Check Out More Womxn Authors
- Episode 66: Patricia Engel – Author of Infinite Country
- Epiosde 64: Fan Favorites – Featuring Kim Krans, Brittney Morris, Aja Black, Melissa Valentine, and Rebekah Taussig
- Episode 63: Sonya Renee Taylor – Author of The Body is Not An Apology
Support the show (https://fiercewomxnwriting.com/support)