Nana Nkweti – Author of Walking on Cowrie Shells, a collection of stories in varying genres, which depict a variety of rich characters
Nana Nkweti is the author of Walking on Cowrie Shells, a book that spans genres – literary realism, horror, mystery, YA, science fiction – and features complex, fully-embodied characters. The stories aim to entertain readers while also offering a counterpoint to prevalent “heart of darkness” writing that too often depicts a singular “African” experience plagued by locusts, hunger, and tribal in-fighting.
“Boisterous and high-spirited debut stories by a talented new writer.” – Kirkus Reviews
In this episode, we discuss her writing process, and:
- Keeping runnings lists on your phone
- Staying engaged with the world as a writer
- And more
I would love to hear from you. Please visit my Contact Page and tell me about your writing challenges.
Follow this Writer
Follow the Podcast
- Visit the podcast’s Website
Follow the Host
- Slide into Sara Gallagher’s DM’s on Instagram
Follow our Partners
- Learn more about our partner, We Need Diverse Books, whose mission is to put more diverse books into the hands of all children
Become an Advertiser
This Week’s Writing Prompt
This week’s writing prompt: Close your eyes. Imagine your body. Do a complete and full inventory and think of all the things that make you you. Hone in on scars, physical and emotional. Write from the perspective from that scar, or about how you received that scar. Let that scar tell you about yourself and your life.
Explore Womxn Authors
In this episode, they recommended these womxn writers:
Ensure the Podcast Continues
Love what you’re hearing? Show your appreciation and become a Supporter with a monthly contribution.
Check Out More Womxn Authors
- Episode 78: Jennifer Craven – Author of All That Shines and Whispers
- Episode 77: Marina Carreira – Author of Save the Bathwater
- Episode 76: Kathleen Basi – Author of A Song for the Road
- Episode 75: Tashie Bhuiyan – Author of Counting Down With You
Support the show (https://fiercewomxnwriting.com/support)